Ombuds Case Study Club
Become a member!
The one and only place to witness ombuds at work!
The Ombuds Case Study Club is the only case study membership of its kind where, every month, you can observe an expert ombuds work with a visitor from beginning to end. During live, facilitated case studies, you will use exclusive supportive resources to analyze the case and techniques utilized.
This approach of pulling back the curtain to demonstrate the work in action is rare in the ombuds profession.
Join us in this unique and enriching way to engage and learn! Observe expert ombuds as they coach visitors while navigating complex issues and dynamics such as; change management, discrimination and inequity, informal vs formal systems, systemic issues, and more!
Before I tell you about this career-changing membership, let's talk about who this is really for...
You’re an ombuds enthusiast with no shortage of interest in learning and growing your skills. You are tired of discussing hypothetical scenarios that never seem to give enough context to truly learn. You are ready to engage deeply with your professional community and push each other to expand and excel.
- A seasoned ombuds with a desire to spruce up your practice with new ideas and approaches…
- A new ombuds wanting to have a clearer sense of how others coach and guide visitors…
- An aspiring ombuds eager to learn how to do the work and start incorporating the skills into your day to day life to build your resume and experience…
- An ombuds supporter who wants to better understand how ombuds help their constituents and organizations…
You’re in the right place! Continue reading for how Ombuds Case Study Club will give you everything you need to experience ombuds case studies in a more enriching way than ever before!
In this program you will...
Grow your conflict analysis skills while listening and considering the case.
Build confidence in your skills and approach to coaching visitors.
Engage with other professionals to expand your practice and connections.
How it works...
1. Review a new recording every quarter!
Each quarter, members receive access to review the new ombuds visit recording, take notes, and review any additional resource materials.
2. Join a live, facilitated case study activity!
Members can join a live advanced, structured, facilitated meeting to debrief, process, and analyze the tools the ombuds used.
3. Review materials and discussion recording!
Members can review the visitor meeting and/or the facilitated discussion recordings on their own time.
Confidentiality and professionalism are important!
Don't worry! Measures will be taken to ensure confidentiality for the visitors.
- Ombuds will not coach anyone from their own organization.
- Visitors have the option to change names of places and people, including their own name.
- Members will sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Recordings of the sessions will not be permitted to be shared.
- Members will adhere to group norms and expectations on how they discuss cases and engage with one another.
Which ombuds have we learned from so far?
- Howard Gadlin, Consulting Ombuds at Harvard Medical School, coaches a visitor working for a family owned and run business.
- Donna Douglass Williams, Head of Ombuds at Pinterest, coaches a CEO of a small Marketing Agency navigate how to lead, manage and support staff with mental health accommodations
- Tyler Smith, Associate Ombuds at the National Institutes of Health, coaches an employee on managing expectations with a new supervisor.
- Shreya Trivedi, University Ombuds Officer at the University of Central Florida, coaches a director as he thinks through his team's group dynamics and needs.
- Melissa Brodrick, Ombuds and Director for the Harvard Ombuds Office, coaches a manager through a situation that poses challenging dynamics on multiple levels
- Paul Sotoudeh, Chief Ombudsman at the USPTO, coaches an employee on communicating job expectations and desires with their supervisors.
Still to come:
- Wayne Blair, Ombudsperson at the Asian Development Bank
- Lisa Neale, Associate Director and Ombuds at the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Center
- Elizabeth Stone, University Ombuds at Gallaudet University
When you enroll you will get...
- The chance to experience amazing and skilled ombuds coach visitors from beginning to end
- Access to additional supporting resources connected to the cases
- 4 live (and recorded) facilitated and structured case study discussions
- Opportunities to engage with your ombuds colleagues in a deep and meaningful exchange